Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Geek Out #1

**Boyfriend decided to make his own list as well. I tell you, we're total geeks over this show. His list is at the bottom.

I'm a complete and total nerd and sometimes I try and disguise it, though I'm never fully successful. Sometimes I can't contain it and I have to totally geek out and this is one of those times. For most of you, this post will be completely boring so just skip this, go below and watch that bully video again because it's hilarious and that is far and away more interesting. On to my first Geek Out (there will undoubtedly be more in the future)...

One of Boyfriend's and my favorite TV shows is Supernatural. In short, it's a show about two brothers who are "hunters," killing ghosts and creatures and other "things that go bump in the night." They got into the life after something killed their mother and their father makes his life about finding and killing that creature, teaching his kids how to defend themselves and kill most any supernatural creature they may find. It's a fantastic show starring two of the hottest guys on the planet, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. That last part is probably more of interest to me than to Boyfriend. It mostly takes on a monster-of-the-week format and incorporates an incredible soundtrack and heavily features a kick-ass car, the 1967 Chevy Impala 4-door hardtop. The show is in its sixth season now, but if anyone wants to start it up, which you should, then I'd definitely check out any episodes from seasons 1-3. They're the best.

Yesterday I came across this article on EW.com about the 15 best Supernatural episodes. I agree with some, but definitely not all. Boyfriend and I debated this for quite a while last night and I've decided I will list my own 15 best episodes because Entertainment Weekly left some notable awesome episodes off.

Here is my list of the 15 Best Supernatural episodes (Boyfriend's would probably look even different, but I'm totally right):

15. Born Under a Bad Sign

Sam's possessed and pretty bad ass.

14. All Hell Breaks Lose
Season 2 finale. This one's technically cheating because it's actually two parts but I think parts 1 and 2 comprise a whole. Spoiler alert: Sam dies. Kind of. I feel okay writing this because Sam obviously doesn't totally die since the series keeps going.

13. No Rest for the Wicked

Season 3 finale. Really really creepy Lilith. Like, really creepy.

12. Malleus Maleficarum
Witches. Awesome girl fight between Ruby and another chick demon. Totally badass. Boyfriend probably wouldn't put this one his list, but I really like it.

11. Pilot
I actually wanted to make this one higher, but the two main actors hadn't quite gotten their chemistry and the writing and delivery was still new. But still, it hooked me into a new show. Classic ghost story of a Woman in White and you learn so much, like why the boys are hunters and why Sam's inclined to get back into hunting after trying to have a "normal" life.

10. Nightshifter *Special recognition for the best musical moment of the series thus far*
Shapeshifter. Hilarious paranoid character. Boys running from the law. Styx's "Renegade." Close to perfection. Here's the final scene with the aforementioned best musical moment.

9. After School Special
We find out how the boys' lives in high school were and we see Dean dressed as a gym teacher. Heartbreaking at the end. So good.

8. The Real Ghostbusters
Sam and Dean find themselves at a Supernatural convention where they find an actual ghost.

7. Scarecrow
GREAT classic monster/horror episode. Who DOESN'T find scarecrows creepy? This episode also has what I think is the third-best musical moment on the show (music plays a huge part in the awesomeness of this show if I haven't mentioned this already).

6. Monster Movie
Filmed in black and white with classic movie monsters that are nothing like "real life" monsters.

5. Heart
Hot chick is actually a werewolf and we end with Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity," one of the best songs at all times. If you don't cry at the end, you're a robot.

4. The Usual Suspects
The boys are arrested and Linda Blair is one of the detectives on their cases. Linda Blair, people!

3. On the Head of a Pin
Not funny at all. Deep. Heavy. Wow.

2. The Monster at the End of this Book
The "Supernatural" convention mentioned above makes a lot more sense after knowing that this episode is about a book series the boys come across called Supernatural. We meet Chuck, a hilarious character who somehow knows everything about Sam and Dean and all of their cases. We also see the guys' anti-possession tattoos and think they actually look kind of cool.

1. Jus in Bello
Best. Episode. Ever. Town overrun by demons. We meet Lilith. Oh it's just great.

Season 6's "The French Mistake" is one of their best as well, but I felt weird including episodes from the current season. I mean, it's totally genius.

I should also mention what I consider to be the second-best musical moment. I might actually be the best but I'm partial to "Renegade" and it just fit the moment so damn well. This is a very, very close second place. Whoever found this song was probably given a bonus for how well it fit the moment. In Season 5, we've found ourselves greeted by some of the Four Horsemen in various episodes. Sam and Dean need their rings and eventually have 3 of the 4, needing only Death's now. In "Two Minutes to Midnight," the second-to-last episode of the season, we finally meet Death. This is exactly how it looked on the show, except without the lyrics at the end.

Boyfriend's 15 Best Supernatural Episodes
(Snippets written by me, not Boyfriend)

15. Simon Said
This was a good one. I can get on board with this.

14. Home
The boys' home is haunted by a poltergeist and we get to see Loretta Divine as a woman named Missouri or something. Loretta Divine makes any episode of any show better. Another really good one.

13. Pilot
This should have been higher.

12. Croatoan
So this episodes isn't one of my favorites but it's vitally important to the story. The rest of the series relies on stuff we learn in this episode.

11. On the Head of a Pin
This one should have been higher too. I can't believe he only ranked it #11!

10. Nightmare
I forgot about this one. I may have had it on mine if I hadn't skipped over it, not remembering what it was. I forgot that this part of the story began in season 1. Kripke (the creator) really is a genius who had a story to tell.

9. When the Levee Breaks
This one is so good. Pretty sure I cried.

8. Nightshifter
Clearly Boyfriend has good taste here.

7. Shadows
We see Meg again, and she's a total bitch.

6. Dream a Little Dream of Me
The guys encounter a dude who can trap you inside your own dreams. Heavy.

5. Crossroad Blues
This was on my list but it got trimmed when I had to narrow it to 15. This is where we meet the Crossroads Demon for the first time and learn a very, very important part of this show.

4. The Monster at the End of This Book

3. Jus in Bello

2. All Hell Breaks Loose Parts 1&2
Boyfriend cheated too, so it's obviously okay.

1. Faith
Was shocked to see that this was Boyfriend's favorite episode. To me, the episode itself is just okay, but we do get to learn about Reapers and they are creepy. They also become extremely important in later seasons as well.

See, Eric Kripke had this idea for this show and how it was going to be told and unfolded before the first episode ever aired. He planned it to be told in 5 seasons and you see things in the first season that are explained in, say, season 4 and you know it was planned the entire time. Because of that, almost every episode "belongs" and the story flows damn near seamlessly throughout seasons 1-4. Season 5 gets shaky because they had planned to end the series (b/c Kripke would have HIS story told), but then CW renewed it for a 6th so they had to find a way to end Kripke's story while still being able to keep the show. So if you're intrigued but don't want to start at the very beginning b/c you don't know if you'll like it, pick episodes from these 2 lists. You'll notice the Pilot is on both of our lists, so starting at the beginning isn't a bad thing...

No comments: