Monday, January 31, 2011

The Phone Calls I Get at Work

I get a phone call this morning from someone who is meeting my boss here in our office. She wanted our "actual physical location." I give her our address and my boss's room number. I should also add that she didn't ask for this information when she scheduled the meeting with my boss and said, "We can come to her office." You'd think a "Can you give us the address" would have followed, but no. I just figured she knew where we were or had looked on my boss's email signature and Googled it, but whatever. She didn't ask when she scheduled the meeting and offered to come to our office. Back to the present story. So she calls and asks for our "actual physical location" as opposed to the fanciful one where I dream I work in a beautiful office overlooking the Pacific with palm trees and flamingos and penguins that frolic about in my purple-hued office where Metallica plays live shows for me each day and I never have to hear awful bands like Cage the Elephant. She also doesn't want me to say, "Chicago. Our office is in Chicago" because, well, that's 1) far too vague and 2) simply not true. To avoid magical and false information, she asks for our "actual physical location."

So I give her the address, she thanks me, and we hang up the phone.

Story detour: What do you do when you're given an address to meet with someone? I'll tell you what I do. I look up the address so I know where I'm going. This method works so well, that I feel no reservations about recommending this practice to each and every one of you. When someone provides you with an address, you can go to this website called "Google" and it will show you where it is. You can even go to this website and zoom to street level so you can see the exact building you'll be going to and you'll know what to look for when you arrive. It's amazing, try it.

This is not the avenue that the two people take when arriving. No no, I get a phone call from the male coming and he says "Hi. I'm at the corner of [your street] and [other street]. Where do I go?" That corner is literally--literally--just one house over from our office. There's *that corner*, house, then our house. Someone moderately vision-impaired without glasses could read our address from his exact location. So here's the conversation:

Man: "...where do I go?"
Me: "We're [number]"
Man: "Ok, well do I walk towards the park or the other way?"
Me: "You'd walk towards the park and we're on the right."
Man: "Oh ok, on the right. That explains a lot, thanks."

You know what's on the left? A giant cathedral. There is no way that we would be on the left. And, like most addresses, there is only one of our number on the street (b/c it would be silly to have 915 on BOTH sides of the street) and there is just no possible way he could NOT see that from where he was standing unless he didn't look.

I got two phone calls in the matter of an hour asking where we were. The person who called the first time was with the person who called the second time. Neither person bothered to look at a map before coming. Why would you when you can just ASK someone?

I just typed in our address into Google maps. You can see our front door. Just saying.

No comments: