Monday, January 10, 2011

Bathroom Bitch

I can't quite explain what happened to me after using the restroom today. Oh I CAN describe it, but I don't think it will adequately convey the weirdness/awkwardness/strangeness of what I experienced. I shall try. First, however, I want to put in a little background information. This is all taking place in an urban college campus, where old houses have been converted into offices. By old, I mean OLD. This results in every room having a great deal of echo and one cannot clear one's throat without someone on the first floor being able to hear it. Thus, what I'm saying is: sound travels here. Far. You cannot do anything quietly. Second, the restroom door is at the foot of some stairs, which come at the end of a relatively long, skinny hall. There is no need to stand directly by the door, as there is plenty of space behind you, and not much room in front of you for the person to exit the restroom. Third, the sink and counter are situated in proximity to the door in such a way as there is enough clearance to open the door and not much else. And the door opens in. Therefore, the person in the restroom is opening the door on him- or herself and there is not room for anything other than the opening door and the door opener. On to the story...

1. I used the restroom. I had not been, nor planned to be, in the room for very long at all.

2. I was just about done with my usage of the restroom and the toilet is finishing up its loud flushing cycle. Loud as in the toilet is loud and everything echoes so it's freaking loud and there's no way someone on the second floor couldn't hear it.

3. As I'm finishing up and getting ready to leave--a fluff of the hair in the mirror is about all I had left at the time--someone tries to open the door. Forcefully. Multiple times.

4. At no time did this would-be intruder knock. He or she kept trying to open the OBVIOUSLY locked door.

**I would like to add, again, that sound travels like you wouldn't believe in this building. The WBI should have heard both the toilet flushing and me moving around. Plus, isn't it customary to KNOCK on a closed door before attempting to enter, ESPECIALLY in the case of a restroom?**

5. I opened the door to see someone I don't know looking right at me. But hold on, it gets weird here.

6. That person, instead of apologizing and stepping aside so I could walk out of the restroom, begins to walk towards me.

7. This person is attempting to get INTO the restroom before I am OUT of the restroom. There is that awkward movement where two people must turn sideways because they are trying, at the same time, to get through a space meant for only one person.

8. This person glared at me as though I was in her way. Apparently, I should have known that this person who I've never seen before would need to use the restroom mere seconds after I did and I should have prevented this whole episode.

At the very least, I need to 1) not lock the door so she can come and go as she pleases whether the facilities are available or not or 2) learn to open the door and exit at the EXACT same time even though laws of physics don't allow this. Of course, she could also walk upstairs to the 3rd floor where there was an open restroom, but whatever.

No comments: