Sunday, April 28, 2013

Our Wedding Music

On December 8, 2012, Boyfriend Fiance became Hubster.  It really was the wedding of my dreams--don't know that I can say "our" dreams since Hubster hasn't been dreaming of his wedding like I have.  For me, though, everything was perfect.

One of my favorite components of the wedding was the music.  It should come as no surprise that, for ceremony and reception, Hubster and I had our hands in every bit of the music.  We made the final decision for every major song and hymn and most of the dance music at the reception.  We believe that music frames an event so we put so much thought into each of our choices and quite honestly, I wouldn't change a single thing (except for maybe adding "Brown-Eyed Girl" to the "Do Not Play" list for the DJ).  I do have to give a special thanks to my Dad and the music director and organist at his church, without whom the ceremony would not have been as awesome as it was.  While Hubster and I made final choices, that's not say our first ideas were the greatest.  And we definitely wouldn't have known the epicness of our recessional without them, nor would we have gotten the musicians we did.

So that I may remember, and have easy future access to, our wedding songs, I've compiled a list of what I know we picked and played.  Obviously I don't remember every song played at the reception but there are a few I remember being big hits for everyone and big hits for a few that I was surprised DJ agreed to play.  Here are the major songs:

Pre-Ceremony
We had a wonderful harpist, Mary Jane D'Arville, who played our prelude music.

Clair de Lune by Debussy

O Holy Night, with soloist from the church choir.

Ceremony
We had some incredible musicians for our ceremony.  In addition to the extremely talented organist at my church, we had an amazing trumpeter, Brian Strawley, Assistant Principal Trumpet with the Richmond Symphony, and a second organist for the recessional, the incredible Michael Simpson.  We also had members of our church's choir who sang the descant of the hymn we sang during the ceremony.

Prior to Pastor and Groom's Entrance:  Gottfried Reiche's Fanfare

Bridal Party Entrance:  Trumpet Voluntary by Jeremiah Clarke

Bride's Entrance:  Te Deum Prelude by Marc-Antoine Charpentier

Hymn:  Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah by William Williams
--Used an arrangement by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and had church choir members in the balcony for the descant on the third verse.  Loved it.  Giggled like a little girl when my Balcony Angels kicked in.

Recessional:  Toccata from 5th Organ Symphony by Charles-Marie Widor
--My Dad actually suggested this awesome piece.  It was just wow.

Reception
Parents' Entrance: Top Gun Anthem

Bridal Party Entrance: Goodbye Horses by Q. Lazzarus
--Uh yes, our bridal party--including flower girl and ring bearers--DID enter our reception to the song to which Buffalo Bill tucks it and dances

Bride & Groom Entrance: I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness
--We walked out to the second chorus, ensuring that we got the "Guitar!"

Bride & Groom's First Dance:  I Am Your Man performed by Ryan Shaw

Father & Daughter Dance:  April in Paris by Count Basie's Orchestra
--There are two reasons why I picked this song for my Dad and me.  When I was little, my dad and I actually danced to this song in the living room with me standing atop his feet...and he hates to dance.  It's also featured in Blazing Saddles, one of our all-time favorite movies.

Last Song:  Remember You're a Womble by The Wombles

Some Reception Favorites That I Remember
Tanuk Tanuk Tun by Daler Mehndi
--Of course.

I'll Be by Edwin McCain

I'll Make Love To You by Boyz II Men

Poison by Bell Biv Devoe

White Horse by Laid Back

Here Without You by Three Doors Down
--One of Hubster's and my songs while we dated long-distance

Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

This Is How We Do It by Montell Jordan

Tubthumping by Chumbawumba

Regulate by Warren G featuring Nate Dogg

Shots by LMFAO featuring Lil Jon

Apache by Sugarhill Gang

Photograph by Def Leppard
--For the Groom & Best Man

Talk that Talk by Rihanna

Blow by Ke$ha
--Hubster loves him some Ke$ha

Get Low by Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz
--Appropriate? The question remains.  The DJ played the radio edit as requested by Hubster and me, but did WE sing said version?  Perhaps not.  Regardless, we had a great deal of people pointing to windows and walls...

Wobble by VIC
--The only group dance we allowed.

Footloose by Kenny Loggins
--Contrary to popular belief, this was not a Mother/Son dance.  Hence, why I was out there too.

Stayin Alive by Bee Gees
--Ensuring J-Friend dances for decades now

Boogie Shoes by KC and The Sunshine Band
--We did not request this song, but it's a favorite because my 4-year-old nephew specifically requested to dance with me during this song :-)

The DJ did not play any Katy Perry, much to Hubster's chagrin...nor did he play Motownphilly, much to mine, but we were thrilled otherwise.  I hope that by putting some of these on here, I'll be able to have clearer memories since the request list I have contains songs he didn't play.  There are songs I know he played, songs I know he did not play (aforementioned, along with I Would Do Anything For Love, Ruff Ryders Anthem, I Just Want To Celebrate and Tonight (I'm Loving You), You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Bohemian Rhapsody), and songs I cannot remember if he played or not, which, I gotta say, is the most frustrating.  Do I really remember if we were "Woo!"ing during Ms. Jackson or am I making that up?  Did I dance to Gonna Make You Sweat or am I thinking about how it would have been cool to dance to Gonna Make You Sweat?  Did we hear Nelly?  Did we Shoop?  I may never know...

If I may make one wedding suggestion:  Don't worry about most of the details.  If your food is good and your music is good, your wedding will be fun.  Period.

No comments: