Monday, December 27, 2010

List Two: Places I Have No Desire to Visit

I haven't traveled a great deal at all. I do believe that this facet of my life kept me from meeting Prince William and living out my life's destiny of becoming an actual princess instead of just the royalty I believe myself to be in my head, but I digress. Until a few months ago, I had never been in a state that did not border the Atlantic Ocean. I have now been west of the Appalachians and it was quite exciting. Clearly, I want to travel because almost anywhere is new to me. And new = exciting. Very exciting. When riding through Indiana and Illinios is the highlight of your recent traveling life, there's an issue. I've never had a passport and I have no reason to need one in the near future. I need to see more.

You would think, then, that I'd be willing to go almost anywhere. Assuming a trip is free, this might be true but even then there are places that you probably couldn't pay me to go. I think we all have these types of places. Those places -- the ones that don't necessarily contain those roads visited frequently by Westerners accustomed to certain luxuries (like bathrooms) -- aren't really the focus here. There are perfectly legitimate travel destinations that I have no desire to visit.

Places I Have No Desire to Visit
1. Africa.
Nope, no desire to go to Africa. I mean sure, I'd go to South Africa where English is spoken widely, but even there the water is pretty cold so I don't fancy myself taking kindly to the beaches. There are penguins there though and that might be enough to change my mind. The rest of Africa though? No thanks. Maybe Egypt, but really once I see the pyramids I'm done. When I think of vacations, sweating in the desert or on a safari seeing animals I can see in any North American zoo is not a part of the fantasy. I prefer not to be dusty and frightened that these animals may turn on us at any time. When I think of Africa, I think of hot and dusty and that's just not my idea of relaxing.

2. India.
If it came to it, I would pay to avoid going to India. With my personal space issues, India is not a comfortable choice to me. I get very uncomfortable and anxious and slightly ADD if someone has infiltrated my bubble. I can't think of anything other than the breach of bubble security. Combined with the aforementioned dislike of heat, I think India would cause extreme internal discomfort. I also don't know what I'd eat. I'm the pickiest adult eater with whom you'll ever come into contact and it's not like I can eat beef there. India would not be fun for me.

3. Actually, most of Asia.
Okay, so I kind of want to go to Japan but otherwise Asia doesn't interest me that much. A lot of that comes from the food thing, but there's also a distinct language barrier I don't think I'll ever break. I also picture Asia as very humid and full of people who don't respect my bubble.

4. Detroit.
I like cars, but not enough.

5. Iowa.
I don't like corn so I think Iowa would just be a total bust.

6. Amsterdam.
I've never smoked pot and I needn't any prostitutes so I feel like I'd be wasting my time. And Amsterdam's time. I'll spend my time in other European places.

7. Mexico.
So I hear Cabo is cool, but I can go other tropical places where drug cartels and narcotraffickers don't visit tourist destinations for victims. Mexico is actually quite dangerous. I've always just thought that if I could afford the cost of a vacation to a destination with great beaches, it would be somewhere in which I'm comfortable leaving my resort and has more history that I care about. When I vacation, I want to feel safe, clean and be able to drink the water.

8. The Bahamas.
It just seems so over. I'm also told it's dirty and people swarm on you.

9. The Middle East.
It's dusty. It's scary. I wouldn't be able to eat anything. I'm also Christian, look Jewish and have assets that are difficult to hide. I think travel here for me could be sketchy.

10. Las Vegas.
I'm not a dude at a bachelor party. I'm not a stripper at a dude's bachelor party. I've been to Atlantic City and AC at least has boardwalks on the beach. I see no reason to visit a bigger AC in the middle of the desert. Also, the phrase "What happens in Vegas" has spawned so many copycat sayings for places that are not nearly as interesting or sinful that it makes me somewhat resent Las Vegas. Your reputation precedes you, Vegas, and I'm uninterested.

No comments: